wump fish wrote:

What do you wise women think about winding/burping babies. I am very aware that I am totally confusing women and providing them with information which conflicts with my colleagues. I would love to hear what information you give women about this subject.

My standpoint at the moment (more than willing to change it) is that for most babies winding is unnecessary and if they fall asleep at the breast just leave them. Rather than sitting them up and jiggling them about = waking them up all over again etc. Other cultures do not wind/burp babies. Wind will find it's own way out.

Please correct me - I would love to hear alternative theories.

Rachel

I usually suggest it, as newborns often are a bit uncoordinated with their suck/swallow/breathe, and crying makes them swallow air. If their tummy is full of wind after a feed, they might think they're full, and go to sleep. I say to women that if they get rid of the burp, the baby might feed a bit more as they don't feel full anymore, and it could save them from having a crying baby in 10 min with stomach pains.

However, since having a baby of my own, I haven't really noticed wind to be a problem. I winded him after every feed in his younger months, but now that we are co-sleeping, he is feeding x number of times a night laying down, and definitely NOT being winded! There seems to be no problem. The air will come out the other end, but I thought in young babies it hurt them, as there has never been wind in their bowels before. That was really my 2 only reasons for suggesting it to women. I never said they should, just said what might happen if they didn't. I did follow up with 'every baby is different, see how you go'. :)

Jo (Mum to Will, who is rolling rolling rolling!)