To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 12:51 AM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Birth & Sexual Assault

Just letting everyone know the SA birth happened early (SROM) and labour
started quite well, mum seemed great. BUT... it quickly became very full on
and I couldn't believe it was exactly what I had read about.

Huge learning curve and I am kicking myself for not realizing sooner that it
was going downhill in a textbook SA style. She was transitional at 1-2cms
plus a posterior bub, was throwing up, shakes, wanting out, good contrax etc
but that cervix wasn't moving fast enough. After lots of hard work she got
to 9cms but ended up with a Caesar, it had been two days, we'd all had no
sleep and she and bubs were exhausted and going downhill. She was getting a
fever, blood in urine, I think traces of proteins / keytones, just
everything you can imagine apart from fetal distress was thrown out. She
just didn't like the feeling of pressure (baby) and wanted to block it all
out. Epi didn't help. VE's were a nightmare and of course given it was going the way it was they wanted to do several. During the caesar I was allowed to come in with her (first one I actually had seen, I found it quite disturbing
but of course didn't say so!) and she found it extremely difficult as she
had surgery to correct damage from rape. I could tell that she was having
major issues and tried to get her visualising and using lots of reassurance but she wasn't there with me... but as soon as bubs was born and she was out
of there she was completely fine.

We have lots of debriefing to do I think, so will be interesting... so much
happened and we all did so much hard work, but it just wasn't meant to be.
Came home to two sick kids (hubby makes 3) and didn't get much sleep while
hubby slept, so I am still a bit of a wreck and catching up on things. I
should be sleeping now, but I am so behind with BB and T4T that people are
getting irate with me. *sigh* So thanks all for your support, I can't wait
til my copy of 'When Survivors Give Birth' arrive and hopefully next time I can be a bit more prepared and experienced. It was the longest, most tiring
and difficult birth I have been to yet. But special at the same time.

Best Regards,

Kelly Zantey
Creator, BellyBelly.com.au
Gentle Solutions From Conception to Parenthood
BellyBelly Birth Support - http://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth-support