I think the bit about "medically required" was referring to the formula not the consent.....

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa Barrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] consent to formula feed?

Also, I am under the impression that due to the increased risk of these bubs' sugars dropping further (being LBW and premature) then requiring IVT, 4/24 BSL etc one or two comp feeds to allow mum to get her head around breastfeeding two bubs and recovering from the labour etc sounds reasonable. I do understand both sides- one being the desire of the mother to BF versus the well-being of her babies. Just because these bubs were offered a comp feed does not mean she cannot BF..

comp feeding to allow mum to get her head around breatfeeding - seems to be a ridiculous statment. Is that the reason we are now going to give to justify formula after birth. Did anyone ask the mother if she wanted formula so she could just get her head around her breasts. The babies were on the small side but were only one day off term (normal pregnancy being 37 to 42 weeks).

Breat feeding following birth Can bring blood sugars up you know and continue to keep them there. Formula should never be given even before the woman has had a chance to put her babies to the breast. And do you know what. Consent must be given before formula feeding whether you think it sounds reasonable or not. You don't have to understand both sides our job is to advocate for the womans wishes and desires and facilitate breast feeding after birth if that is her wish.

On a side note, formula is written consent in the PNW where I work and verbal consent in the SCN- as it is considered 'medically required'!

consent isn't medically required it's legally required.

Lisa

http://www.eset.com