Susan Cudlipp wrote:

    Choice is an interesting concept: if we truly support choice then
    surely even 'bad' choices should be respected?

Yeah see this is where a persons rights as a medical consumer gets tricky. How do we define 'bad' choices whilst being culturally/theologically/spiritually/ etc sensitive? Look I think that the woman who wanted to be induced before the 6/6/06 has just seen too many Exorcist movies, but who are we to deny her the right to hold a totally different world view? Yes we could argue that her choices can potentially cause harm to herself & her baby, we can attempt to 'inform' her of her rights and responsibilities as we see them, but at the end of the day if she is willing to make that decision then it is hers to make. If we are going to be 'real' about supporting womens rights to choose, then we also have to be real about where the responsibility ultimately lies, & until this is sorted in a cultural, political & legal sense, its going to keep going around in these same circles. The bottom line is that we are arguing about the choices human beings have in our culture around birthing, when we cant even choose the way we die, that also is a choice that is proscribed (by law even). In the situation of dying, one has to consider that you can do it yourself quietly (or not) at home (ie 'commit' suicide - notice the allusion to a criminal activity in that statement), but you cant expect the help of the medical establishment to do so (ie euthanasia). That is one very obvious 'boundary' to what medical science can 'ethically' provide. Maybe if more women understood that the same boundaries exist in the birthing scene, we may see some changes take place! Because of the fear of litigation (ie, where the ultimate responsibility lies), you cannot expect the medical establishment to sanction or support any behaviour that it defines as 'life-threatening'. The fact that the information the establishments use to create those definitions is not always evidence based just adds to the frustration! With all due respect to those who work in hospitals, please can we all just admit that as soon as you become a 'patient', your choices (and therefore your responsibilities) are potentially (depending on what you want) over-ridden by hospital policy (ie, there are boundaries to the support you can expect)? We can argue that 'it is her body, her baby', but if she cant (is not allowed or supported to) make choices that the institution sees as inherently 'dangerous' (by thier definition) to herself or her baby, then its all just bullshit.
Call me naive (go on, I dont mind), but -
What we want as consumers is to be able to access medical help *on our terms*. What we want as midwives is to know we are working with people (women mostly but not only women) that are willing & able to take responsibility for their choices & decisions.

--

Jennifairy Gillett RM

Midwife in Private Practice

Women’s Health Teaching Associate

ITShare volunteer – Santos Project Co-ordinator
ITShare SA Inc - http://itshare.org.au/
ITShare SA provides computer systems to individuals & groups, created from donated hardware and opensource software