Perhaps some of these doctors need to learn these other indicators of progress?

Amanda
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2006 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Fw: info required

Hi Joy,

You have done a great job in being an advocate for this woman.  And you are right in the need to remind him that 'no means no'.  To digitally penetrate a woman without her consent is sexual assault.  And why does he believe that your need to support him is more of a priority than supporting the woman?  It's inappropriate to write comments like that in the notes.  Perhaps he needs to be reminded that midwife means 'with woman' not 'with doctor'! : )

To my knowledge there aren't any studies on outcomes, in relation to whether VE's are done or not. When I worked in a birth centre many women birthed without a VE.  There are so many other indicators of progress.  Actually my Mum  had seven kids and said she NEVER had a VE!

Cheers
Michelle

Joy Cocks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thanks Judy and Barb for your support.  Yes, the woman did know, as he was trying to convince her and she asked why she needed it and then said no, when he still tried to push for the VE I said firmly "she said no" that's when the proverbial hit the fan.  Might need to remind him of the TV ads that no means no ;)
After the birth she asked if there was anything she could do to support me.  I just said we'll wait and see what eventuates.  What really hurt was that he wrote in the notes (where all staff can see) that he was filing an incident report in relation to Joy Cocks not supporting him, so I imagine I am the subject of hospital gossip for a few days!
Joy

Joy Cocks RN (Div 1) RM IBCLC
BRIGHT Vic 3741