Joy this is a very disturbing story - coercion to have a VE without full consent is assault and battery. We must never be complicit in this. I cant believe you were reported for doing your job well.  You have also protected the hsp and drs from potential charges and legal proceedings. I hope the report is an opportunity for your workplace to remind Drs of this and they give you the support you deserve.  Love Suzi
----- Original Message -----
From: Joy Cocks
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Fw: info required

Pheewww......Peiter Mourik used to come to our hospital and give inservices when he held clinics there.  I would back up Wendy's comments.  He's very clever with words and is god's gift to women - always saving them!  He believes that midwives can only be independant when they can do forceps/ventouse births!
Sorry, negative comments after a bad evening when I stood up for a labouring woman who did not wish to have a VE when the GP ob wanted to do one as how else would he know whether she was progressing or not.  He's writing an incident report about me for not supporting him. He asked how I planned to manage the labour and I told him that the woman was managing the labour and I would be worried if she became worried. The woman proceeded to birth without problem.  Just feeling upset and hurt as he is my GP and we usually work well together, but probably most other women are not as strong in standing up for themselves.
Joy

Joy Cocks RN (Div 1) RM IBCLC
BRIGHT Vic 3741