Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:42 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Breastfeeding

I've seen this before and it was indeed related to sexual abuse. Fortunately the woman involved was keen that her issues didn't end up impacting negatively on the life of her baby so she went for counselling and was able to work through her stuff enough to bf. How sad that our abusers are able to reach through us to our children like this.
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:05 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Breastfeeding

I'm posting this on behalf of a birth attendant who has contacted me. She will be supporting a woman soon who has for want of a better term, 'breast issues'.

The woman really wants to breastfeed but the thought of it makes her feel ill. She hates it when her partner touches her breasts. The birth attendant is not sure whether this is related to previous sexual abuse or not.

I've never come across this situation before and wondered if others had experience of this and what helped the women?

Thanks,
Andrea Bilcliff