Mike I use a doll and sometimes a knitted breast to demonstrate along with Rebecca Glover’s pamphlet “The Key to Successful Breastfeeding” which gives mothers another visual image.  Rebecca’s DVD – Follow Me Mum -  is also fantastic because you can pause it anywhere you want to get a really closer look.   If you are with her you can stop it and explain details or watch a section again.  I very rarely feel that I need to ‘do it’ for the mother.  Antenatally the mothers can use dolls – not quite like a real baby but the best we can do J  Spending time with another breastfeeding woman seems to be a good idea and might be really useful – perhaps a few ABA meetings antenatally.

Barb I think your idea of lots of skin to skin contact if she is open to this would be a fantastic start for her – if she feels she can cope with the closeness.

Take care

Shaughn

From: owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au [mailto:owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au] On Behalf Of Mike & Lindsay Kennedy
Sent: Friday, 13 October 2006 6:18 AM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Breastfeeding

I would assume that a hands off approach to assisting this woman with breastfeeding would be of benefit. What techniques do others use in the early postnatal period to assist with attachment, positioning etc without manhandling? (excuse the pun) What methods Can be used antenatally to prepare her. Spending time with another breastfeeding woman springs to mind.

rgds mike