Hi Louise,
Just a comment about rural maternity services or lack of!!
I am a midwife in a rural facility and was hitting my head against the wall trying to get birthing back to our town. We have a Midwives clinic which wasn't well attended and lots of times couldn't bring postnatals back because we had no beds. (We are now marketing our product to the local GP's!!)

Well one day, about 6 mths ago; along came two consumers from our town to ask why we had birthing taken away and why we couldn't get it back . This spurred me on again and together they(as a group) of consumers/Midwives are at a point where the district has set up a committee to work out the appropriate model of care for our birthing women.
It can be done, but it must come from consumers and they must lobby there local politician and district health service for support. Our group affiliated with Maternity Coalition who have been really wonderful. From a Midwives perspective I have learned so much in the last 6 months and feel supported to continue the fight for our community.
Go for it. You only need one or two passionate people.
Cheers
Di M