I thought I'd better add that the women reflexively try to swat our hands away, it stings very much - and their response is very automatic and understandable. When we were learning we all practiced on each other so we know what it feels like! We talk to the women about how it will feel. We ask the women's partners to hold them as we do the injections, sometimes the partners get taken by surprise by the response, even when we explain what is likely to happen!

BTW, I'm grateful to have so many colleagues write and show interest in the protocols, I'm overwhelmed by the response. Isn't it just wonderful that so many midwives are out there making a difference and exploring different ideas to help women and give women choice! What a great group of people you are.

warmly, Carolyn

----- Original Message ----- From: "Heartlogic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2006 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Intradermal sacral sterile water injections

Hello Andrea, thanks for your kind words.

As for the sacral water injections, we have only used them for late first stage and second stage. So repeats haven't been an issue for us. Yes, it does sting, but all the women, bar one, found the injections wonderful. One of the women I saw for her three week postnatal visit and she voluntarily told me all about the injections with great wonder. I didn't know she had them, and when I asked her all about her experience with our service and the birth of her baby etc, she waxed lyrical about the change in sensation with the injections. Very interesting.

And yes, because it stings so much, two midwives give the injection at the same time, the women would not let you do it again immediately after, they swat your hands away - or try to. :-) I appreciate the logic with giving them both at the same time.

The midwives at JHH have been using them in the birth centre as well. They reckon the injections are great too. I haven't heard any feedback about the refusal for long labours, I'll check that out and get back to you.

I'll send you the protocol from work, it's on my work computer,

warmly, Carolyn

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>