Ooops, forgot to mention that this information about pain physiology comes from The third chapter "Physiology of Pain" by Sue Moore in the wonderful book "Understanding Pain and its Relief in Labour". Sue Moore edited this book as well as writing several of the chapters.

apologies for my omission. I added the information about the water injections.

warmly, Carolyn

----- Original Message ----- From: "Heartlogic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Intradermal sacral sterile water injections

Hello Ramona,

The current suggestion for why the sterile water injections work is tied to what is called the gate control theory of pain management.

Nerve fibres can be classified or categorised according to their diameter and speed of conduction. The larger the diameter of the nerve fibre, the faster the speed of transmission. Myelinated nerve fibres transmit information faster than non myelinated fibres.

In the peripheral nervous system there are myelinated nerve fibres, alpha-beta (very fast) and alpha-delta (fast) and unmyelinated nerve fibres known as C (slow) fibres. The alpha fibres are fast conductors, the C fibres slower conductors. In terms of pain transmission, fast fibres transmit sharp, well defined, localised sensations (touch plus sting of water injections). C fibres transmit slower, chronic, duller kinds of pain signals (baby's occiput/head on sacrum pressure/pain).

The original gate-control theory proposed that a physiological gating mechanism operates within the spinal chord's dorsal grey matter. Sensory signals can only pass through these chemical 'gates' when the gates are open. The gates are opened by the release of neurotransmitters which excite the postsynaptic membrane of neurons, therefore transmitting pain signals within the ascending 'pain tracts'. The gate is closed by inhibitory neurotransmitters and the release of endogenous opiods.

Touch/pressure etc stimulates the fast, big diameter alpha-beta nerve fibres, sensory signals are transmitted along with pain transmission via the slower alpha delta and C fibres; alpha beta fibres stimulate inhibitory neurons in the dorsal horn closing the gate to other slower sensory and pain related information (particularly C fibres). At the same time, descending information from the brain activate these same inhibitory interneurons which are also involved in the release of endogenous opiods.

Mechano-reptors (touch receptors) respond to the whole variety of sensory stimuli such as touch, heat, width of stimulus, depth of stimulus etc. The skin is very rich in these receptors. That is why rubbing etc is helpful with backpain or any other kind of pain. The sting of the water injections stimulates many receptors, exciting both alpha fibres (transmitting touch and pain from the sting) and therefore is thought to slam those gates shut in the dorsal horn whilst the brain's feedback to the sensation of the sting is to release of endogenous endorphins.

So the sacral water injections are thought to work because of the excitory action of the alpha beta fibres in closing the gates, the gates closure reinforced by inhibitory action from the brain in response to alpha delta firing and the release of endogenous opiods.

It is important to use sterile water as sterile water has the greatest sting. Normal saline is hardly felt as the body is mainly salt water, therefore it doesn't excite the pathways to close the gates nor does it stimulate the release of endogenous opiods.

Rubbing the spot of the sting also reduces the excitory nature of the sting - very tempting to rub, we love to help! But in this situation, it is counter productive. We want the sting - the sting is the thing that changes the painful stimuli sensation from deeper within the woman's back (head on sacrum), and lets the woman get on with labour.

I hope I've managed to explain this sensibly! Its all fascinating stuff. I'm so grateful to Janice DeoCampo for bringing this to Australia from Sweden where her daughter had her baby and used this technique. Brilliant.

warmly, Carolyn

----- Original Message ----- From: "nunyara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>