funny it evolves from FTP, which is natorious for being slow. Do they realize
the phone company is going video so everyone will have fat pipe in the future
and it won't matter?

  I find it funny everyone is trying to make a central source appear fatter
than for downloading video...and really splitting the the "url" is really not
hard to duplicate...cause all p2p systems do this....i do it with home
connections now...we all know home download speed is faster than upload speed
with ADSL.

  so...i'm guessing you have to download software to use....maybe a browser
plugin. Sorry but I haven't/won't surf that site. I have enough on my hands now.

  but...didn't youtube prove if you just go huge, it feels like realtime
anyway? and i would think google has solved almost any centralized speed issue
given they already distribute the search somewhat ( i really don't care about
google's technology so i'm not an authority)

  curious as to the strategic investment rumors?

  lemon

Alex Pankratov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  "Download managers" appeared in mid- to late-90s as FTP clients
that supported resuming prematurely aborted or explicitly paused
downloads. They used REST FTP command for that and they added a
support for a similar mechanism with HTTP in a bit. If you look
back you'd probably remember that public FTP archives were a very
big thing back then.

Then they added an ability to use multiple download streams in
parallel. Then they added pretty GUI, download scheduling, file
management and other fluff.

It was wildly popular; at least where I come from :) The reason
for the popularity was that a lot of FTP/HTTP servers did a per-
connection throttling of the downloads. Speed caps were easily
in a range of 5 KBps, so downloading with N streams was in fact
making at it all go N times faster.

It is only natural that these managers evolved with time and
steered toward p2p/collaborative/swarm-like behavior.

WRT Google's interest with Xunlei, I guess it's the standard "we
want your user base" case. Nothing more.

Alex

You don't get no juice unless you squeeze
Lemon Obrien, the Third.

http://www.tamago.us