Ok, you have two options 1) Distribute it as a standalone packer plugin, 2)
contribute it to the packer core plugins.

First some general info about the plugin system can be found here
<https://www.packer.io/docs/extend/plugins.html>. It's slightly outdated,
first all core packer plugins are now bundled in one binary *packer* and
there are no separate binary for say *packer-builder-amazon-ebs *anymore.
And *command *plugins are not supported any longer.

1) You can maintain your own repo with the code for your repo and
instructions to build/download it. For an old example see packer-parallels
<https://github.com/rickard-von-essen/packer-parallels/tree/original_master>.
The benefit is that you regain full control. The drawback is that less
users will find it and there is a extra installation step. Currently there
are no official list of 3pp plugins, but it have been talked about.

2) Open a PR to packer <https://github.com/mitchellh/packer>. Almost
everything in packer is a plugin, core plugins are distributed with packer
and now built in to a single binary. If your plugin is general and target
AWS I think it's at least a good candidate for a review of inclusion into
the packer core plugins.

// Rickard

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/84676134-6338-4cde-9991-dd127acba1dd%40googlegroups.com.