If you have Docker for Windows the simplest way might be cross compile in a
container.

Go to the directory where you have packer checked out and run something
like:

docker run -v %PWD%:/usr/src/packer -w /usr/src/packer golang:1.8 bash -c
XC_ARCH=amd64 XC_OS=windows make dev

This should give you a Windows binary somewhere under pkg.

I don't have access to a computer so I haven't tested the above but it
should be close to correct.

On Mar 19, 2017 3:52 AM, "Patrick van der Velde" <
petrikvanderve...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying to build a version of Packer from source code on windows 10 for
> windows x64. I've followed the instructions on the github page but I'm
> having issues getting the build to work. So far I have:
>
> * Installed Go and set the GOPATH to the directory in which I want all my
> go code to appear
>
>         echo %GOPATH% returns E:\documents\Petrik\documents\software\go)
>
> * Got the source code via
>
>         go get github.com/mitchellh/packer
>
> * Executing make returns
>
>         go get github.com/mitchellh/gox
>         go get golang.org/x/tools/cmd/stringer
>         go get github.com/kardianos/govendor
>         govendor sync
>         process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, govendor sync, ...) failed.
>         make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
>         make: *** [deps] Error 2
>
> I have tried to use the Linux subsystem but that has a known bug which
> makes it not possible to execute go (see https://github.com/Microsoft/B
> ashOnWindows/issues/349).
>
> All I'm trying to do is to build an x64 version of Packer so that I can
> test a single line change I think I need to make to the Hyper-V provider.
>
> Can anybody give me a hand shaving this compilation yak?
>
> Thanks
>
> Petrik
>
> --
> list.
>
> GitHub Issues: https://github.com/mitchellh/packer/issues
> IRC: #packer-tool on Freenode
> ---
> "Packer" group.
> email to packer-tool+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/ms
> gid/packer-tool/8295aec7-c778-4e81-8b9c-bcfb016e2175%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/8295aec7-c778-4e81-8b9c-bcfb016e2175%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

"Packer" group.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/CALz9Rt_Vt-HMG9A0fifCJCoUPQdPyOXJnQFw-nAOwVQEYZ923A%40mail.gmail.com.