Thanks for the report, Manoj. I'm almost certain this is a false positive.
There is a similar issue on github for terraform, with lots of information
there that I think also applies to packer:
https://github.com/hashicorp/terraform/issues/16539. I've also verified
that the checksum of the file you linked matches the contents of the signed
shasum file.

I will try to reproduce and submit it for malware analysis to Windows
Defender Security Intelligence. I will report back if it finds anything.

Thanks,
--Matt Hooker

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/CAEpfdnwMvbPrwNMrRYPW7DD5R%3DfYYuhwDtWtYGEZ4x-_T6xPMw%40mail.gmail.com.