Hi Steven,

Inline setup is really simple to do.
In packetfence define a management interface and an inline interface (Type:inline layer 2, DNS:8.8.8.8).
Also don't forget to enable ip_forward.

Now connect a laptop in the inline network and if you are unreg then you will hit the portal. If your device is reg then packetfence will act as a gateway and your traffic will use mgmt ip address to reach internet.

http://www.packetfence.org/downloads/PacketFence/doc/PacketFence_Administration_Guide-4.7.0.pdf