Update:
My changes in the unifi config.properties weren't being pushed due to a
failure on my part to understand how the item/line numbers work :)
"Note that each line has it's own number just before the equals sign, so
for a second customization you would enter 2, etc."
<https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205223330-UniFi-How-to-make-persistent-changes-to-UAP-s-system-cfg>
It seems to be working a bit better now, with somewhat more of a delay
switching than expected, and the kicks not being accepted consistently -
order of events perhaps (not liking two kicks in a row?)

Feb  2 16:06:24 pf pfqueue: pfqueue(3962) INFO: [mac:78:31:c1:cb:12:dc]
Switched status on the Unifi controller using command kick-sta
(pf::Switch::Ubiquiti::Unifi::_deauthenticateMacWithHTTP)
Feb  2 16:06:54 pf pfqueue: pfqueue(3977) ERROR: [mac:78:31:c1:cb:12:dc]
Can't send request on the Unifi controller: 400 Bad Request
(pf::Switch::Ubiquiti::Unifi::_deauthenticateMacWithHTTP)