Hello guys,

I wish someone can explain me something that I don’t understand. Just recently
found time to get back to this installation.

It looks like it was installed and the initial installation script completed.

During the setup I changed the IP address that PF acquired via DHCP
(172.16.2.134  ) and set it manually to be 172.16.0.222 and set a management
role for this IP

I now can access its Web GUI via this IP. But why does the appliance keeps the
initial IP address it received and shows that it is still bound to its eth0
interface.

And I can access PF using this IP too.

[root@PacketFence-ZEN ~]# ifconfig

OPTIONSAD-b: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500

        inet 169.254.0.2  netmask 255.255.255.252  broadcast 169.254.0.3

        inet6 fe80::8890:aeff:fe57:1cfc  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>

        ether 8a:90:ae:57:1c:fc  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)

        RX packets 69  bytes 12680 (12.3 KiB)

        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0

        TX packets 67  bytes 13778 (13.4 KiB)

        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500

        inet 172.16.2.134  netmask 255.255.252.0  broadcast 172.16.3.255

        inet6 fe80::20c:29ff:febc:4c26  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>

        ether 00:0c:29:bc:4c:26  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)

        RX packets 9625242  bytes 831835734 (793.3 MiB)

        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0

        TX packets 68530  bytes 60794099 (57.9 MiB)

        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536

        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0

        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>

        loop  txqueuelen 1  (Local Loopback)

        RX packets 309453434  bytes 59723935332 (55.6 GiB)

        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0

        TX packets 309453434  bytes 59723935332 (55.6 GiB)

        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

Also, what is the significance of the new interface, i.e. OPTIONSAD-b ? I
created an active directory domain by this name. Why create an interface for it
?

And finally, still trying to understand, if I’m going to use PF only for out of
band RADIUS/dot1x authentication do I need any other roles ?

I’m not going to use VLAN enforcement at least for now.

Eugene