Hi Margaret,

EAP and PANA protocols are designed to operate over unsecure links.
They don't expect any encryption, integrity/replay protection, data origin
authentication from the layers below.
As far as the EAP and PANA are concerned, PRE is no different than a bridge
or a router relaying the EAP/PANA payloads between the PaC and the PAA.
In fact, PRE's only role is to transport the PANA packets.
Therefore, there does not need to be a security association between the PRE
and the PAA in order to carry out the EAP/PANA authentication.

Alper