Hi Margaret,

> 1) An attacker could potentially collect a large set of EAP responses.
> Would that enable any type of brute force attack?  Is there any value to a
> potential attacker in being able to collect these responses for an entire
> site?  This is quite different from an attacker who simply sniffs the site
> communication, as that requires on- path access and the attacker may need
> wait much longer to see a large number of request/responses.
>
> 2) By sending requests to a PAA, an attacker using a rogue PRE might be
able
> to change the state of various resources on the network -- poking holes
> through firewalls, provisioning client access, logging access attempts,
> billing clients for access, or whatever happens in a typical PANA use
> case...  Are there any security implications to the fact that an off-path
> attacker could cause these things to happen?
>
> 3) You've gone to some lengths to ensure that the PRE itself is not prone
> DoS attacks through resource exhaustion.  However, I am concerned that the
> addition of the relay feature to a PAA may open the PAA up to resource-
> exhaustion attacks from a third-party, off-path attacker.  Can you explore
> how/if this can be prevented while allowing any PRE to send requests to
the
> PAA?
>
> Are there other possible attacks that may be enabled by the existence of
the
> PRE?

[SC>]   I cannot think of any other. You have provided a good list for us to
think about.
My co-authors and Alper have more background in PANA-security or DHCP Relay
security than mine - so it seems we need to discuss this among the
co-authors and come up with a text that addresses different threats. This
work is partially modeled after DHCP relay agent. Also the deployment
scenario we were thinking of is in the home-network. So, some of the threats
in the public Internet may not be applicable here, but we should at least
discuss the assumptions/restrictions/cautions for the use-case networks.
RFC 3046 (DHCP Relay Agent Option) has some wordings on 'trusted' network
and trusted entities in the security section - perhaps we can provide some
texts along that line.

Thanks,
-Samita