From: Utkarsh Ayachit [mailto:utkarsh.ayac...@kitware.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:57 AM
To: Dennis Conklin <dennis_conk...@goodyear.com>
Cc: Paraview (parav...@paraview.org) <parav...@paraview.org>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [Paraview] Questions on Add Selection/Subtract Selection

 WARNING - External email; exercise caution.

Dennis,

> Why are “Select Cells/Points Through” not using Add Selection – in
> many cases it is necessary to select using different interactive
> methods to get the final desired selection.

An implementation nuance, and no one asked for it :). The extract filter just
support extracting a single frustum. We, in theory can make it support multiple
additive frustums, but some additive, some subtractive will make it a trickier
implementation. Of course, doable, not since no one asked for it, it never got
around to getting implemented.

> Should Select Block be divided into “Select Block Cells” and “Select
> Block Points”

Good idea.

> so that this selection method could be combined with Select
> Cells/Points On/Through with the “Add Selection” to finetune a selection.
> Alternately should “Select Block” be smarter and only select Block
> Cells if the current Selection is Cells, or only select Block Points
> if the current Selection is Points (and add them to the existing
> selection instead of replacing it?

Ah! That's cool and not easily supportable the way things are currently. But
Berk and I were chatting and we have an approach to support combining multiple
selections add/remove/etc. nicely. Now just convince Alan to make it a priority
and I'd love to have it sorted out for the SC release ;).

Utkarsh