Hi Bob

 From what we can tell, no sound appears to be coming from it, even
when headphones or speakers are plugged into it, that's the root of
the problem.  What is interesting about this whole thing is that when
her room mate hooks up her external card to the same computer, it
doesn't work either, but it works fine on other computers in the
house. I'm wondering if this isn't some kind of a driver issue?  When
she hooked it up, Windows was successfully able to find the card,
but she didn't get any speech, which is what started this whole thing.
So it looks like it's a driver issue but the problem is I don't know
where to go to remove the drivers so windows can properly find the card again.
If we can get windows to not only find the card but install the
drivers we might have a shot at this!
But thanks for the tip, it's helpful.