From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org]
On Behalf Of Christopher Chaltain
Sent: April 19, 2010 9:24 AM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: It's Still Stealing

No, but the library won't let you make copies of that book and give them
away or sell them to others. The copy protection scheme with BARD books is
intended to keep these books from getting into the general public and
impacting the sales of audio books. This kind of protection is necessary in
order to ensure cooperation with the publishers. I think the attitude of
some on this list that once they have an MP3 in their possession they're
able to do with it whatever they want demonstrates why the NLS and other
companies and agencies need to take such action.

Although I'm sure the vendor manufacturing the players is doing it for a
profit, I'm not sure how you know they're making tons of money (whatever
that means). I also have no ideas what insentives you're talking about.
If you're implying that kickbacks are involved then that's illegal and you
should report that. I also don't see how the 3rd party players are raking in
the dough from this, unless by providing this feature they're boosting their
sales. I don't see anything wrong with that by the way.

Christopher
chalt...@gmail.com