The Raspberry Pi running XBMC Media Center or similar has a huge advantage over
the Apple TV, its open source meaning that its not restricted in any way as the
Apple TV is.

Now since you've got an Apple TV I suppose we may as well do some trouble
shooting, how do you have the device connected firstly and does anything happen
at all when the Apple TV is booted/