Hi Robert,

(snip)

Hello,

donning the implementer (as opposed to co-author) hat, I have

comments pertaining to draft-ietf-pce-pce-initiated-lsp, specifically

to Section 6. In general it seems to contradict the general outline

of the extension as stated in section 3.2 paragraph 4.

The first paragraph clearly forbids the use of PCRpt D=0 for PCE-

initiated LSPs. It is not clear whether this restriction applies to

all PCRpts, or only the PCRpt solicited by the PCInitiate message.

Section 3.2 paragraph 4 seems to indicate this applies to solicited

PCRpts only, which is what makes sense. A clarification is definitely

needed.

But http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pce-stateful-pce-10#section-5.5.1
says..

Note that for an LSP to remain delegated to a PCE, the PCC MUST set

the Delegate flag to 1 on each LSP Status Report sent to the PCE.

So the D flag must be set on all PCRpts (including the solicited (first) PCRpt
and any other PCRpt message).

Right, but that would also mean that a PCE-initiated LSP cannot be reported to
backup PCEs, as that would mean the LSP is delegated to multiple PCEs at the
same time...

[Dhruv]: A clarification that one is referring to the PCE that initiated the
LSP in the paragraph should clear that up.

I am not sure what text in section 3.2 paragraph 4 is an issue?

The specific text is this:

   Once instantiated, the delegation procedures for PCE-initiated LSPs

   are the same as for PCC initiated LSPs as described in

[I-D.ietf-pce-stateful-pce<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pce-pce-initiated-lsp-02#ref-I-D.ietf-pce-stateful-pce>].
  This applies to the case of a PCE

   failure as well.
Which is precisely what I understand you are implying in your response below.

[Dhruv]:

The third paragraph seems to be replacing the normal delegation

mechanics with a PCInitiate-driven exchange. It does not specify

whether it is legal for a PCE to send PCUpd(D=1) after a session flap

or not. It feels like it is not legal and PCInitiate is intended to

fully replace it, but that would contradict section 3.2 paragraph 4.

This needs to be clarified.

I think some clarification is needed. The text says..

In case of PCEP session failure, control over PCE-initiated LSPs

reverts to the PCC at the expiration of the redelegation timeout.  To

obtain control of a PCE-initiated LSP, a PCE (either the original or

one of its backups) sends a PCInitiate message, including just the

SRP and LSP objects, and carrying the PLSP-ID of the LSP it wants to

take control of.

During state synchronization itself (full or incremental) the D flag could be
set while reporting the status of PCE-Initiated LSP (with C flag set) if
re-delegation is not done to another PCE. I feel the same behavior make sense
for PCC-Initiated LSP as well incase one wants to delegate to the same PCE
again after session down. It should not be mandatory to send PCInitiage message
in all cases.

Regards,

Dhruv

Bye,
Robert

My preference would be to remove pretty much all of this paragraph,

bringing the mechanics to what section 3.2 outlines. Unfortunately

there are already some implementations deployed, so we need to factor

in the compatiblity with the installed base. Can we perhaps allocate

another bit in the Stateful PCE Capability TLV and mark the current

one as reserved/deprecated?

Thanks,

Robert

On 12/01/2014 06:18 PM,