Howdy...

In all honesty, even though I have the knowledge by which to answer your
question, I do not have enough information to answer it with a simple yes,
or no, thereby I have to give a much broader explanation, which you may not
want to read, but it will answer your question.

NT, 2000, and XP use a different bootstrap loader from that used by Windows
95, 98, and Me.  Thereby, if the drive from which the bootstrap loader is
the same drive that you wish to format, then you cannot format this drive
unless you also do not mind having to reload part of XP.

Trying to reload an older OS on a dual boot system has several caveats that
you have to watch for, and may mean having to repair the recent OS in the
process after you have finished installation of the old OS.  Just remember,
the Windows 98 bootstrap does not support multi-OS booting, short of a
non-Microsoft solution, only Windows NT, 2000, XP, and .NET support this
functionality.


Richard Strickland, MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, A+


-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of mike
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 9:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PCWorks: formatting harddisk with win98 and wi XP


i have win98 and win Xp on my P III 256  Ram !  Win98 is on  the default
drive c : and XP on my extended partition.
    My win98 is giving me problems and I want to format and reinstall it!
the Quiestions are
  Can i format my drive c: without affecting the win XP ?
will the  Xp start nomally after the system are loaded in drive c: ?
============= PCWorks Mailing List =================
Don't see your post? Check our posting guidelines &
make sure you've followed proper posting procedures,
http://pcworkers.com/rules.htm
Contact list owner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Unsubscribing and other changes: http://pcworkers.com
=====================================================

Reply via email to