Always do these things when that happens:

1.  Start in safe mode.  If the PC WILL start normally in safe
mode, then the problem is usually something that is loading
with Windows.  Uncheck all programs that are loading via
MSCONFIG and restart and see if that allows it to boot
normally.  If so, check them back one by one until the problem
surfaces again then you know the program that's doing it.

2.  From the DOS prompt (C: prompt), run scanreg and scandisk
and see if that finds/fixes any problems.  Allow scandisk to
fix any problems, and if scanreg finds anything wrong then
restore the last known good bootable config.

3. You should also run the short version of scandisk in Windows
in safe mode.
-Clint

Happy Holidays to all & God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://OrpheusComputing.com )

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Larry Browning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>



This is my wife's computer and it uses win 98. I tried to start
the computer
today and it seemed ok and I got one program to start up. When
I tried to load
a file in that program it froze. I hit ctr alt delete and it
said the program
was not responding. I could not get the start button to react
at all so I
closed it down using the ctrl alt delete action. As the
computer came back up
it froze before it got all the icons on the desktop. I again
hit ctrl alt
delete and it said that Explorer want not responding.

Should I reload win 98 or is there another way to fix this kind
of problem?

Thanks

Larry
============= PCWorks Mailing List =================
Don't see your post? Check our posting guidelines &
make sure you've followed proper posting procedures,
http://pcworkers.com/rules.htm
Contact list owner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Unsubscribing and other changes: http://pcworkers.com
=====================================================

Reply via email to