Interesting comparisons available there Clint, thanks for the list.

BTW, don't try any of the links for AVK such as www.gdata.com as the actual site is http://www.gdata.de/portal/GB/privatanwender

Price wise it is expensive for the complete internet security offering and is closely matched by Norman antivirus, but the basic antivirus package is comparable in price.

NOD32, was voted best in 2006 by av-comparatives.org and has the highest rating for the past 9 years from Virus Bulletin virusbtn.com. What strikes me is the memory usage of said products in this pdf http://www.eset.com/threat-center/case_study/Colby_Sawyer_white_paper.pdf

Peter Kaulback

Clint - OrpheusComputing.com & ComputersCustomBuilt.com wrote:
If you don't go to a lot of "questionable websites", and don't get a lot of email with malware in it, AVG or Avast will do ok. They are far from the best though. I've been using KAV (Kaspersky) for a few years now and while it's no longer #1, it's close to it. Interesting that AVK uses the same core and DB as KAV, yet it ranks tops now. Could be that the newer versions of KAV aren't up to what they once were, I'm still using 6.0.0. (what had a 99.x% rating).
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_02.php
AVG is better than Avast overall.

You can look at page 3 here http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report13.pdf and see different results, where that shows AVG missed more than Avast. (Lower graphs are better). But look at the right "2nd February" and see that it closed the gap. Page 6 gives more of a breakdown and there is shows Avast is better at the beginning, but overall AVG gets a higher %'age. "(C) total detection rates".

AVK (from G-Data) is still the best, but expensive with no sales or rebates on it. You can get KAV free after a rebate sometimes. By far the best deal hands-down. Interesting how bad McAfee and M$ is, both at the bottom. Of course there are other test sites out there, but that one is pretty much an authority since they do some really in-depth tests.
-Clint