I think you'll want to start with libpd, since it strips out a lot of the GUI
stuff, which definitely won't be needed ;).  Then you'll need to get it
compiling, then you'll need to write the audio I/O method.

You'll need to put in some kind of hack to replace loading a patch, like having
the patch as a compiled-in string.

.hc

On Apr 3, 2012, at 5:10 PM, Damian Stewart (ML) wrote:

> hey Hans + Miller,
>
> thanks for pointing me towards Sukandar's work.
>
> so to be clear: you think i'd be able to take the Pd source code and just
> push it through the DSP's compiler and something vaguely usable would come
> out? (I have never done anything with a DSP chip before and the examples on
> TI's website are fairly heavy on the assembler, they mostly look like
> microprocessor bit-bangy code..)
>
> cheers
> damian
>
> On 02.04.2012, at 19:37, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> Yeah, I imagine with no kernel doing timeslicing, Pd would literally have
>> all of the CPU time, and the audio output to the hardware happen more often
>> than every 64 samples.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Apr 2, 2012, at 11:31 AM, Miller Puckette wrote:
>>
>>> It should be possible but Pd needs stuff like open(), read(), and write()
>>> for files, so it's necessary to make a small library to either carry out
>>> or somehow fake those operations.
>>>
>>> The great advantage of running Pd on a DSP is that you can probably get
>>> audio
>>> latencies down much further than on a PC-like CPU.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> Miller

As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be glad of an
opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and this we should do
freely and generously.         - Benjamin Franklin