Hello listers (and Frank B. in particular),

I've been converting a PD synth I've been using from an [nqpoly] voice manager to Frank's new [polypoly]. Mostly, it's working well for me, but one thing about it seems less than optimal, and I wonder if it is intentional.

The first inlet sends its {note, amp} pairs to one and only one instance of the polypoly'd abstraction. The second inlet broadcasts its message to *all* instances (see attached patch for simple illustration).

I can see reasons for wanting it to work that way, so if it was intentional, so be it. It would work much better for my selfish purposes -- I like to send a big list of parameters to the voice that's about to be fired off -- if it only connected to the same instance that the first inlet connects to.

(As an aside, it occurs to me that [polypoly] would be much more generalizable if the first inlet could send a list *of any size* to the poly-allocated abstraction, instead of a hardwired {note, amp} pair. Then I would be happy to see the second inlet be "global", because I wouldn't need it anymore. I'd just send a big list, including note and amplitude as well as all my other parameters, to the first inlet. The drawback is that this would require a custom version of [poly], since [poly] assumes {note, amp} pairs.)

I get lost in the auto-creates and auto-connects in [polypoly]'s innards, so I can't figure out how to play with this. I'm awfully grateful for this powerful object, though. If I can get it working, my synthesizer patch will work great for process music (which is all nqpoly can really do), *and* live playing. Thanks, Frank.

Phil Stone
UC Davis
#N canvas 264 37 332 200 10;
#X obj 38 56 pack 60 120;
#X obj 63 5 bng 15 250 50 0 empty empty empty 0 -6 0 8 -262144 -1 -1
;
#X obj 63 26 t b b;
#X obj 38 88 polypoly 12 1 polytestvox;
#X obj 123 56 pack 1 2 3 4 5 6 7;