On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, marius schebella wrote:

I would give most priority to any kind of $0 feature in messages. and then the next step for me would be to differentiate between $-variables (in messages) and # or ? or @ variables in patches. that way you would not break backwards compatibility,

What about patches that use # or ? or @ to mean something else already?

By treating all character combinations to be valid unless otherwise used, Pd has painted itself in a corner about extending functionality. Anything new breaks some compatibility: you can only hope that a certain combination of characters is not already in use by actual patches, but you can't even know that.