I have also had a number of bad voice/video meetings and some decent IRC meetings. I'd really like to experiment with the combination of all of the above. I think that a voice conference together with IRC could be a really useful combination. For example, its hard to know when someone wants to speak next in a voice conference, in a physical meeting , that kind of queuing is really well handled with eye contact, and small hand gestures, which can happen while someone is talking. I think that kind of thing could happen in IRC, like people type in "I'd like to respond", so for big chunks of talking, that would be handled over voice, then the little bits like figuring out who will speak next could be handled in IRC.

For the book sprint, I think it would probably work differently. Like a constant, async, low volume chatter on IRC, then when some people want to work out an approach to a chapter or topic, they would switch to voice chat and have a discussion.

.hc