On Mar 31, 2009, at 4:34 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

Hallo,
Alexandre Porres hat gesagt: // Alexandre Porres wrote:

you know, yeah, but the thing is that phasor is not actually an oscilator at
all !!!
the name actually refers to phase, and not sawtooth.

And a [triangle~] may be used as a ping-pong looping [phasor~].

The objects Pd provides are building blocks - they generally are designed on a level that allows and encourages multiple uses. A square wave going from 0 to 1 can be used as a logical signal that switches another signal on and off. In fact, a trivial square or saw without bandlimit should generally not be used as an "oscillator" in the analog synth sense - it should be bandlimited first, and while you do that you may as well make them have a DC of 0. (Bandlimiting triangle waves is not *that* urgent, as corners don't add so many alias
components.)

I think the key to this discussion of -1 to 1 vs 0 to 1 is what people are most likely going to use them for, and what makes the most sense in that context. Of course, ideally, it wouldn't create arbitrary restrictions either. For example, Cyrille and I make basically everything 0 to 1 in the mapping library since it makes things really easy to do without sacrificing much flexibility. If you start with, or end up with different ranges, you can do the scaling math at the input or output ends of the patch, and keep everything in between 0 to 1.

I think the two ranges for this discussion separate signals versus controls. A sawtooth~ is a signal that is meant to be listened to, so it would good from -1 to 1. A phasor~ is the exact same shape as a sawtooth~, but it is meant to be a control, so it is 0 to 1. You could easily switch the two with some basic math, but most of the time, you'll want your controls to be 0 to 1 and your signals -1 to 1. A similar pair would be square~ (signal) and pwm~ (control).

Terrorism is not an enemy. It cannot be defeated. It's a tactic. It's about as sensible to say we declare war on night attacks and expect we're going to win that war. We're not going to win the war on terrorism. - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom