On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Bernardo Barros wrote:

2011/3/18 Mathieu Bouchard <ma...@artengine.ca>:
already. Then the only way to get a reward for having done work that hasn't
been asked for, is always in terms of how much it will get people to offer
you money for future work. Perhaps there ought to be a donation system for
work that has been already done ?

But it ends up being something very similar, given that the
maintenance of existing software also counts as " future work ".

I don't understand what you mean. Future work is future. It's not like rewarding past efforts. A past effort doesn't imply feature requests going to the same person and implementing those features doesn't constitute a reward for past efforts.

Another related thing: I'm a little reticent when it comes to donating to software under the BSD license and the like, considering that my donation could end up being an investment in private corporations at the end.

Any investment in free software is an investment in all corporations that use free software, regardless of how they use it. Very few corporations that use free software make proprietary forks. Proprietary forks aren't the only way corporations can use free software.

If PureData + extensions will adopt a Donation System, I'd suggest to differentiate donation for GPL and BSD work, so we could donate just for the GPL'ed territory.

Ok, so, suppose you donate 100 $ to the Pd Community's GPL side, how much money should go to each developer ? Make a list of developers, and how much money each will get.