On 26/10/11 09:53, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

It's worse than that-- they want to lock their customers into using their
hardware
only in the ways they intend.  Ever tried syncing an Ipad with a free software
operating system?

indeed it is, but I was trying to focus on the open source issue as relates to
code.

Their corporate strategy regarding creating and maintaining a monopoly on as many technologies as they can, and taking a percentage of every transaction within those monopoly platforms is very sensible and reasonable way to maximise profits if you have the resources and embrace free market principles.

Most economists and all free market advocates assume this is as a good thing, and the best way to run a society. Obviously I personally disagree very strongly with this assertion, and so do many others. But the current "western" model of society says this behaviour is not only legal, but is admirable - a best practice example of successful marketing and a very profitable business model.

It is all bullshit, but many many voters disagree with me on this.

Simon

Free software devs spend an inordinate amount of time getting free software
operating systems to work with hardware for which the manufacture gives very
little documentation or support whatsoever-- not to mention hardware like
Apple's
which gets periodic firmware updates specifically to break compatibility with
anything other than Itunes.  So it's not even really about refusing to give
back to the
community-- it's about making the device less useful by arbitrarily limiting
what the
user can do with it.  I can't think of a better polar opposite for pure data.

-Jonathan

This is quite a common attitude, and I assume the reason a lot of companies
prefer BSD code.
But I believe that the reason Linux is as strong as it is is
exactly because of its license ... any corporation (or any individual) that
wishes to use Linux legally and distribute their version must do their part and
publish their improvements.

Simon