The PDF list is a service provided by PDFzone.com | http://www.pdfzone.com

I think the fact that you are experienced is why you were so alarmed.  You know what
to expect usually and you got thrown a curve.  An unsuspecting consumer would
otherwise go with the flow to get the desired results.  FileOpen is run by one guy who
is obviously a programmer like yourself, and his wife chips in a bit as well I think.
That's probably the reason for the URL redirects and IP silliness.  It's unfortunate
that because of the inherent jumping through of hoops in DRM these types of concerns
are raised.  The processes need to be more invisible to consumers so we don't feel
like it's an intrusion.

~James

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:48:21AM +0200 or thereabouts, Max Wyss wrote:
> As it has been said, the FileOpen plug-in is a legitimate plug-in for
> Acrobat, and it is the client-side plug-in for the FileOpen DRM system.

Uh-huh, so it should have stated explicitly what it was doing, and why. The
directed to website, should also look a little "better",  other than a 'user's
homepage'. For example, it's quite strange that it lacked a domain. How many
businessess with a webpresence, use an IP# for their domain name? Not many that
I"ve ever seen. Even stranger when a 'whois' search doesn't turn of the specific
network address as being registered to an entity other than "DataPipe". One
want to know who is using that IP#, not who the wholesaler of commerical
broadband services is.

> In any case, you would have to deal with the maker of the game.
> However, accusing another software vendor of spreading malware is not
> necessarily a good start...

If it acts like malware, then one should be suspicious. I'm not new to software
development, and if this is the way DRM is going to be activated, then I suggest
the producers really need to think this thing through. It's NOT consumer
friendly. If originally, the site that I was directed to was Adobe's,  and the
attempt to install additonal software hadn't been so cryptic, I wouldn't have
been alarmed. Imagine how someone, who's not quite as experienced as I, would
have reacted!

BTW, It's not unheard of, for virues/trojans/malware, to be transmited via CD.
It has happened in the past.

--
S.Allen