From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 6:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PDF] SOS

Ran into a similar disturbing problem today.

File is a pdf whose original document was WordPerfect - don't know how it was distilled (fed gov't), Pitstop shows no errors and the text is all Arial.

Problem is that at postscript print time, characters such as quotes, apostophes, parentheses get converted into special characters and, again, the kerning gets all screwed up.  The problem persists with setting "download as soft font", sending outlines, switching down to PS level 2.

Same results printing to Canon Imagerunner 600 and IR-105 - but not when I print to a Xerox N-32 (also postscript driver).  Use of Pitstop was NOT a factor in this case.

I solved the problem by using the PCL-5 driver - I seem to recall that ARIAL is a bitmap font but have never run into this font substitution problem before even when outlines are selected.

I, too, am converned that this sort of problem can have disasterous result.  It wasn't a big thing in this case (I only ran through 1500 impressions before the problem was discovered) but I'll be damned if I want to check every page of a 200 page document to look for sneaky characters.

Solutions anyone?

McLean, VA