Dear PDL folks,

PDL::LinearAlgebra 0.27 has just been released. Notable changes since 0.26:

  *   Much broader testing of the wrapper functions e.g. msolve, with many fixes
  *   A number of memory-management and other bugs are fixed, helped by the
above
  *   Those wrapper functions now work in a natural way with “native complex”
numbers, so long as you don’t load PDL::Complex at all – they still work with
PDL::Complex if you do load it

This was all driven by a report by Guillermo Ortiz in late January about native
complex stuff not working right with the wrappers, which prompted some
improvement work that takes advantage of recently-added features of main PDL.
Interestingly, one of the neuralgic things in the way of main-PDL “loop fusion”
got fixed as part of this work. Thanks, Guillermo – and everyone, please do
report problems as you find them!

Zaki’s amazing CI work continues to be immensely valuable in keeping the
“PDLverse” ever-more stable. Thanks, Zaki!

I’m strongly considering actually removing PDL::Complex support from
PDL::LinearAlgebra, because it does add a fair bit of quite awkward code.
Please express an opinion if you have one! It won’t be immediate because I’d
want to lift out some of Greg’s nice patching of PDL::Complex into main-PDL’s
PDL::Complex, and I haven’t done that yet.

Future ideas:

  *   Use Devel::CheckLib to ensure LAPACK is installed
  *   Be more available on Windows by using a still-to-be-created Alien::LAPACK
  *   Use ExtUtils::F77 to better detect trailing “_” on routine names, and use
the technique from PDL::Slatec/Minuit to wrap that
  *   Make a somewhat-visual demo of this linear algebra stuff using the new
plugin-based demo system – ideas welcome!

The IRC channel (#pdl on irc.perl.org) is a great virtual place to come and ask
questions, or just watch the GitHub messages flow by.

As usual, please give the new release a try and report problems.

Best regards,
Ed