So. I'm a dummy. I just figured out how to install PDL and PDL::Stats on my
mac. Turns out 'cpan PDL' (or cpan anything) didn't work for me because I
didn't have make etc installed. Xcode provides a 'command line tools'
package, which provides make etc. commands. I was then able to install PDL
(the core packages anyways).

Maggie