Folks, it seems to me that how the MZ-S looks depends
on where you stand.  I stand in need of something to
replace my ZX-5N, so the MZ-S looks pretty darn good.

I bought the 5N about a year ago.  After many years
with my trusty K1000 and KX, I wanted autofocus, spot
metering, auto advance, auto bracketing, TTL flash,
and, I'll admit, point and shoot capability for when I
get lazy.

But it hasn't taken long for the 5N's limitations to
get on my nerves, especially the autofocus, which is a
generation behind the N80 and two generations behind
the new Elan 7 (I say this on the basis of
side-by-side -by-side shooting that I did with a
couple of friends a few weeks ago).

I don't much like the 5N's design (in terms of both
looks and utility) and it has a much noisier shutter,
advance, and rewind than the Elan 7 (something that
matters to me since much of my photography involves
accoutic musicians in rehearsal and concert).  (No, a
rangefinder is not usually an option.  When I shoot
individual performers, I'm generally using at least a
135 lens, often 80-200, sometimes 100-300.)

I mention the N80 and the Elan 7 because the specs
which cause so much disappointment for those of us who
hoped for a F100 competitor and PZ-1P successor
actually make me quite happy.  They suggest that the
MZ-S is aimed at the middle of the market, at the N80
and Elan 7 (which, BTW, also has a part-metal frame).

If that's right, the US street price should be USD
450-500.  Beautiful.  Affordable.

If I'm wrong and Pentax prices the MZ-S above the N80
and Elan 7, I'll be very disappointed.  And Pentax
will likely have trouble moving it.  (Things are
moving fast.  Adorama is selling USA warranty F100's
for USD 985.)

Cheers, John

PS  I made some of these points in a post Sunday which
seems not to have gone through.  Sorry if I'm
repeating myself.  I also received double posts
Sunday--digests 215 and 217.

=====
John Edwin Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia