> Subject: Re: Opinions Wanted: Vivitar 2x Macro Focussing Teleconverter
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > I was agressive because I wanted my point to be HARD. TCs are
> >  only good if you want to travel light and are willing to accept
> >  soft, lower contrast images. 35mm photography is borderline
> >  enuff without resorting to these band-aids. For years NONE
> >  of the major camera companies made them because they simply
> >  dont live up to their **previously** high standards.
>
> Well, Pentax made the T6-2X back in the '70's and that's a while ago.
> It was $150 new when third party TC's were $20.

Well Pentax has been making 35mm Lenses since 1952. They
probably went at least 25 yrs WITHOUT offering one. They
probably caved in due to the popularity of the 3rd parties
offerings, but even a T6-2X is not going to give results
as good as a well made prime of the equivalent focal length.

TCs are a kludge at best. A 2X TC throws away 75% of the
image formed by a prime, and magnifys the remaining 25%
to fill the frame. Needless to say the result is a softer
image and less conrast due to more elements. I dont take
pictures often enuff to waste the time I do using an
inferior lens system like a 2XTC. Based on my latest
digital image processing and printing, 35mm is capable
of excellent quality, but you need really good optics
& film to achieve it. I'll pass on the TC's thank you.
JCO