In a message dated 1/14/2003 5:27:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> IF you are photographing something to show what it means, the colors
> that also show in the picture are random. If, on the other hand, you are
> looking for color and that's why you shoot the picture, then the meaning is
> random.

Don't agree with that, but, hey, you're a B&W guy. ;-)

Okay, this is a trivialized example as you said...

> I'll give you a trivialized example just for illustration purposes. Say
> you're shooting a bunch of kids. They find a dead bird. As they look at it,
> you notice one child has a disturbed, thoughtful expression on his face.
> Reacting to that, you take a picture of him. But he is also wearing a garish
> puce shirt. In color, your viewer might react by thinking, "wow, lookit that
> awful puce!" In black-and-white, they look at the kid's expression.
>
> Conversely, if you are shooting color film, you tend to look for colors. So
> shooting that same group of kids, you might notice the puce shirt and go
> after that. And your picture ends up being of a puce shirt and may not even
> include the kid's face.

Not an experienced photographer here, but I think one could:
1. Focus on the kids' faces.
2. Use shallow depth of field that blurs out the puce.
3. Use a type of film that has a pale palette -- one good for portraits.
4. Shoot at the kids' waist level, focusing upward.
6. Shoot down focusing on the dead bird.

No argument that color presents challenges. Hehehehe.

[snip]

> At
> the artistic level, I think people are wise to take a stand
> based on their
> own gut reactions and stick to one or the other.
>
> --Mike

Right. You like TomatOES, I like TomAtoes...

Doe aka Marnie ;-)