I have found that it's very difficult to shoot birds in the wild with
anything less than an 800. Sure, at a backyard bird feeder, you can get
closer. But pictures of birds at the feeder get tedious in a hurry. I
frequently shoot birds in wooded areas where some of the best shots find
them high off the ground on tree branches. I use an 800 and monopod, so
that I can quickly aim up into the branches.
Paul Stenquist