From: Bojidar Dimitrov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:11:29 +0100

Do you remember the time about three weeks?  Pentax had said "full
compatibility" for the *ist, and everyone was talking about how his
personal Pentax sources were confirming that.  Pentax-Europe's >marketing
director had confirmed it, and I was still not believing it because it
was not fitting together with several technical observations of mine.

The press release from Pentax U.S stated that K and M lenses could be used. But the press releases from Pentax Canada, Pentax Germany and Pentax Scandinavia didn't. Obviously Pentax U.S made a misstake, they have done this before (in the first press release for the ZX-L, K and M lenses weren't in the lens compatibility chart. This was, as we all know by now, wrong). So, never listen to Pentax U.S. They have a tendency to get things wrong.

But everyone, not just Pentax U.S, are stating K and M compatibility with the *ist D. That's why I believe it. I don't believe Pentax U.S, but since Pentax Scandinavia tells it - I listen.

You see, when I first read Pentax U.S press release, I asked Pentax Scandinavia. They said that they hadn't got any information about compatibility. They didn't knowed, so they didn't say anything at that time. I believe this is true for Pentax U.S also, I believe that they simply *assumed* that the filmbased *ist were full K mount compatible. But they didn't have any information to back this up. (I don't believe that Pentax Japan tells Pentax U.S more than Pentax Scandinavia).

This difference to the situation with the *ist is very important.
I have learned not to listen to Pentax U.S, but I do listen to Pentax Scandinavia. They don't release information if they haven't got it confirmed by Pentax Japan.

This we have only seen on paper, just like we saw similar texts about
the *ist. The only HARD evidence (the early prototypes at PMA and
CeBit) show the contrary. Now, I am quite certain that the prototype >at PMA is a different one from the one at CeBit, and both featured the
crippled mount. Are you feeling small waves of coldness on your back?
I am...

No, because I have a strange feeling (not waves of coldness :-) ) that Pentax has things hidden up their sleeves, and this is about the lens mount. They haven't showned the true lens mount on the *ist D, because this would reveal secrets that Pentax are not ready to reveal yet.

One can always discuss when to show new technology, to preview and not to preview. Previewing new technology to the public means that the technology is previewed to the competition too, and I believe Pentax doesn't want this. It's better for them to release the secrets when the camera is ready to go on sale.

Anyway, don't judge future *ist models by the entry level model. It's not fair.

Best wishes,
Roland

Hitta rätt på nätet med MSN Sök http://search.msn.se/