I would highly recommed you go for the MZ-M screen. I am not fond of the Beattie screen which I had 2 for LX in the past. If you can't focus with the standard Z-1 screen, I don't think any plain screen will help. The problem with the Z-1 viewfinder is the uncoated plastic eyepiece, not the screen. What you need is a split image.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

Thanks to all who replied. Where do I get a Beattie screen from? B&H and
Adorama seem to carry such screens only for 67 or 645. Maybe my search is
incorrect.

Also, I am not too particular to go for only split-image. Just that I can't
focus with the default AF focusing screen. Would any other screen help me? I
am quite a beginner. And would I be able to change the screen myself or will
the camera need to be taken to a shop? Thanks!

Gaurav

PS: Do these focusing screens ever come on the used market?