Look, I am only going by MY experience ( which I will admit is
somewhat limited, I only did weddings for a few years before
"retiring" ).  None of my clients ever wanted to dedicate
enuff time to the formal group shots. They always seemed rushed
and got upset when I usually asked for 2-3 shots of same pose
to insure no "blinking" etc. Speed is/was of the essence for me.
Time to set up /take flash meter readings on every shot was not possible
and while strobes/umbrellas could improve the quality of light on the
single/closeup shots, its not going to do that on group shots where
the stobes are relatively small compared to the subject.
I never ran out of flash power with my handheld Vivtar 285
which gives a a GN of 160 when using ISO200 and even then
I had an additional stop of insurance. Even at 20 ft. I still
had F8. There was no lack of power to necessite more powerful
strobes for that reason. The only reason I would ever use them is to get
the umbrellas/light quality for closeups. But there is no way
I could or would attempt that then or now. Just not enuff time.....

Funny thing is after doing a few weddings, I bought two books
on the subject back then and dont recall either one mentioning mandatory
use of studio type strobes for doing weddings. I would have
remembered that.....BTW, the last few that I did came out
so nice I had to turn down a lot of word of mouth refferals...

JCO
   J.C. O'Connell   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://jcoconnell.com