Previously written:

Actually, a stupid jerk is someone who does all his formals with a
little ttl flash on camera.

You really can, and many really do, use big strobes at weddings,
myself included.

Back when I was working weddings we would use 400ws Lumedynes. You can do a
lot with 2 lights. I have heard of photographers using monolights and
bringing a background. Better them then me although we used to do
environmental portraits between the wedding and the reception. I suppose it
would be no harder to set up a background and a couple of monolights in a
spare room at the reception hall.

Butch

Each man had only one genuine vocation - to find the way to himself.

Hermann Hesse (Demian)