On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Alan Chan wrote:
> >This has probably been asked before, but I was wondering how good this lens
> >(SMC M pancake 40mm 2.8) is and what it's worth.. Any experiences to share?
>
> Optically, it is an okay lens imho, good but not great. The problem is that
> the focus ring is too narrow to use comfortably. The eBay price used to be
> unbelievably high, and many being tricked to believe it was rare, but should
> be quite a bit cheaper now. I think US$150 is a good price for a mint
> sample.

The great thing about this lens is that it makes an MX or ME Super
into about as pocketable of a 35mm SLR as you'll ever see.  I never
found manual focus on it to be bad...it isn't as nice to work with as
a full size lens, but it is a better manual focus lens than most AF
lenses.

40mm is a nice focal length too.

alex