From: Joe Wilensky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Pancake SMC-M 40mm 2.8
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:57:18 -0400

I've had two experiences with this lens, and a different attitude on my part the second time around is what made me realize its benefits.

The first time I bought one, about three years ago, I used it on an ME Super. The size was wonderful, but my problem was that I was trying to use it like the 50mm f/1.7 or 50mm f/1.4 -- I was using it for available light photos indoors and was not pleased with its performance wide open. Since even the 50/1.7 performs much better than the pancake lens at f/2.8 (and can go more than a stop faster, too, of course), I felt it was always a tradeoff when I chose the 40/2.8, even when I was outdoors, since I kept thinking I could be carrying a faster lens instead.

I traded the pancake at some point, but I always missed it a bit. More recently, I picked one up for a more reasonable price and this time, I had two MXes and a different attitude. While the lens hadn't changed, I now appreciate its tremendous compactness and I don't take it along when I think I'm going to be shooting at f/2 or focusing in dim light. But it delivers very nice performance at most apertures, and seems fine at f/4 too, and even f/2.8 will do in a pinch if that's all you have. But it's no slower than Pentax's 28mm f/2.8 and 24mm f/2.8 lenses, and it's faster than the screwmount 35mm, 28mm, and 24mm f/3.5 lenses I've had. So it's really all a matter of perspective. It's a great walkaround lens, it gives the camera a different balance (it tips a little bit backward instead of forward -- the balance in the hand is more like a rangefinder!), and it has the 40mm focal length, which really is a nice compromise between the 35 and 50. It has the SMC coatings, doesn't need a lens hood and delivers nice saturated results.

$125-$150 for one in nice condition is about right.