Yes, I always hear these little number games. Actually, since there always has been an immense amount of inbreding in human populations the number game is meaningless. I have many thousands of ancestors, but not billions, or even millions, and am certainly not related to everybody in the world even indirectly. This number game is the same arithmetic that says you can never hit the wall you are driving toward at 100kph. You need to use a calculus not arithmetic for these kinds of problems.

In a small population like Iceland maybe most of the people whose families have lived there for several hundred years are interrelated, but 6 generations give 512 ancestors. However many of those 512 ancestors can be the same person, if just 2 of your ancestors were related then there you only have 256 possible ancestors in 6 generations. In all likelihood in a population as small as Iceland many of ones ancestors were cousins, maybe only 5th or 6th cousins but that reduces the number of ancestors in ones family tree drastically.

Thrainn Vigfusson wrote:
You have to go back 6 or 7 generations for my whole nation to be interrelated. I don't know haw far you have to go for the whole of earth's population though.

Thrainn